In order to support development of Confucius Institutes, facilitate Chinese language promotion and Chinese cultural transmission in the world, cultivate qualified Chinese language teachers and talented students of Chinese language, Confucius Institute Headquarters (Hanban) (hereinafter referred to as Hanban) launches the “Confucius Institute Scholarships” program for providing sponsorship to students, scholars and Chinese language teachers of other countries for pursuing a study inrelevant universities in China (hereinafter referred to as “host institutions”).
I. Category & Eligibility
The 2017 Confucius Institute Scholarship Categories of Chongqing Normal University are:
1. Scholarship for Master’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL) Students
2. Scholarship forBachelor’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (BTCSOL) Students
3. Scholarship for One-Academic-Year StudyStudents
4. Scholarship for One-Semester Study Students
5. Scholarship for Four-Week Study Students
Application is open to applicant who owns a non-Chinese citizenship, aged between 16 and 35, in good health condition, (Applicant is currently working in a Chinese language teaching position shall not exceed the age limit of 45. Undergraduate student shall not exceed the age limit of 20).
1.Scholarship for Master’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (MTCSOL) Students
This category provides a sponsorship for 2 academic years. The scholarship recipients should begin the classes from September 2017.Applicant should own a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent. The scholarship will be divided into two types, full scholarship and partial scholarship, respectively. Full scholarship: a minimum score of 210 in HSK Test (Level 5), and a minimum score of 60 in HSKK Test (Intermediate Level). Partial scholarship: a minimum score of 180 in HSK Test (Level 5), and a minimum score of 60 in HSKK Test (Intermediate Level).Applicant who is able to provide the employment agreement or certification upon finishing the study from designated working institutions is preferred.
2. Scholarship for Bachelor’s Degree in Teaching Chinese to Speakers of Other Languages (BTCSOL) Students
This category provides a sponsorship for 4 academic years. The scholarship recipients should begin the classes from September 2017. Applicant should hold a high school diploma or above. The scholarship will be divided into two types, full scholarship and partial scholarship, respectively. Full scholarship: a minimum score of 210 in HSK Test (Level 4), and a minimum score of 60 in HSKK Test (Intermediate Level). Partial scholarship: a minimum score of 180 in HSK Test (Level 4), and a minimum score of 60 in HSKK Test (Intermediate Level). Applicant who is the registered students of Confucius Institute or Confucius Class is preferred.
3.Scholarship for One-Academic-Year Study Students
This category provides a sponsorship for 11 months. The scholarship recipients should begin the classes from September 2017. International students who are now studying in China after January 1st, 2017, are not eligible for the scholarship. Application is open to Confucius Institute (Classroom) students, overseas Chinese language teachers, Chinese language major students and excellent performers in HSK test.
3.1This category provides applicants of employed teachers for Chinese language teaching, or students of related Chinese major preparing for MTCSOL, thefull scholarship and MTCSOL course. Applicants should have a minimum score of 270 in HSK Test (Level 3, scholarship recipients should reach HSK5 after one year study), and the HSKK test.
3.2This category provides applicants who want to engage in research on Chinese translation and sinology in the future, the Chinese language, Chinese literature or Chinese philosophy advanced courses. Applicants should have a minimum score of 180 in HSK Test (Level 4), and a minimum score of 60 in HSKK Test (Intermediate Level). After scholarship review, the excellent applicants will receive full scholarship or partial scholarship according to applicants quantities of the same country, the application registration order, and Chinese level.
4. Scholarship for One-Semester Study Students
This category provides a sponsorship for 5 months. The scholarship recipients should begin the classes from September 2017 or March 2018. Applicants should have no prior study experience in China. Application is open to Confucius Institute (Classroom) students, overseas Chinese language teachers, Chinese language major students and excellent performers in HSK test.
4.1 This category provides applicants of employed teachers for Chinese language teaching, students of registered students of Confucius Institute(Class) preparing for BTCSOL and students of Chinese major, thefull scholarship and BTCSOLcourse. Applicants should have a minimum score of 210 in HSK Test (Level 3), and the HSKK test.
4.2This category provides applicants who engage in Chinese culture communication, the Chinese language, Chinese literature or Chinese philosophy courses. Applicants should have a minimum score of 210 in HSK Test (Level 3), and the HSKK Test (Intermediate Level). After scholarship review, the excellent applicants will receive full scholarship or partial scholarship according to applicants quantities of the same country, the application registration order, and Chinese level.
5. Scholarship for Four-Week Study Students
This category provides a sponsorship for 4-week study which is mainly focusing on Chinese language. The scholarship recipients should begin the classes from July 2017 or December 2017.Application is mainly open to Confucius Institute (Classroom) students, excellent performers in HSK test, and outstanding club members of Confucius Institute Magazine.
Applicant should have no prior study experience in China and submit the HSK score report.
II. Scholarship Coverage, Criteria and Academic Assessment
The Confucius Institute Scholarship provides full coverage on tuition fee, accommodation fee, living allowance and comprehensive medical insurance expenses.
Tuition fee is under the overall planning and utilization of host institutions to provide teaching, management, Chinese language proficiency tests (HSK/HSKK), and cultural and social activities for scholarship holders.
Accommodation fee is under the overall planning and utilization of host institutions which should provide scholarship holders with free dormitory rooms (usually double rooms). For those who live off campus with the permission of host institutions are entitled to accommodation allowance from host institutions on by month or by quarter. The allowance criteria are RMB700 per person on monthly basis.
Living allowance is granted by the host institutions on monthly basis. The allowance criteria per person are:
lBTCSOL, One-Academic-Year Study, One-Semester Study: RMB2,500 per month
lMTCSOL: RMB 3,000 per month
Enrollment status is based on semesters of host institutions. Students who are enrolled before the 15th (or on the 15th) of the admission month, are entitled to the full allowance of that month. Students, who are enrolled after the 15th of that month, are only entitled to half of the allowance.
The living allowance for the month of graduation will be granted half a month later upon confirming the graduation status by host institutions.
During the study, for any students who is absent from
of personal reasons for more than 15 days (excluding legal holidays), the allowance will be suspended during absence. Allowance will be terminated in case of schooling suspension or dropping out for personal reasons.
Comprehensive medical insurance is purchased by the host institutions in accordance to relevant regulations on international students stipulated by the Ministry of Education of
. The insurance fee per person is RMB800 per year.
MTCSOL ,BTCSOL program applicants are subject to annual academic performance review. Only those who achieve outstanding records in academic and Chinese language proficiency are entitled to a full scholarship for the following year; those who achieve average academic records are entitled to partial scholarships; the others will not be entitled to scholarship any longer. Partial scholarships consist of tuition fee, accommodation fee and comprehensive medical insurance. The One-Academic-Year Study and One-Semester Study programmers are required to attend Chinese language proficiency test before graduation. Test fee is reimbursed by host institutions.
III. Admission Procedure
For applicants, recommending institutions and host institutions, please find admission procedures and scholarship recruitment results on the Confucius Institute Scholarships website (http://cis.chinese.cn).
1. For application, please log on to the Confucius Institute Scholarships website (http://cis.chinese.cn) to register, complete the Confucius Institute Scholarships Application Form online, and upload the scanned copies of relevant supporting documents.
2. Entrusted by Hanban, Confucius Institutes (independent Confucius Classrooms) in different countries, overseas Chinese language testing centers, educational and cultural sections of Chinese embassy and consulate, and host institutions in China are working as recommending institutions to engage in the applicant selection, materials review, host institutions connection, and collecting and handing over applicants’ documents to host institutions.
3. Once application materials are verified by the Division of Scholarships of Hanban as valid, host institutions will then review the eligibility of applicants and submit the admission list to Hanban.
4. Hanban will conduct an overall assessment of all applications and admit applicants on the basis of competitive selection. Normally, the admission results will be announced 2 months before September.
5. After confirming with the successful applicants, host institutions are required to post “Letter of Admission”, “Visa Application Form for Foreigners to Study in China" (JW202 Form), copy of the scholarship certificate and other relevant documents to the recommending institutions before August.
1. Incomplete or unqualified applications will not be processed.
2. Applicants will be disqualified from application in case of fraudulent application materials or application materials are completed and submitted by someone else.
3. Scholarship winners who cannot register with the host institutions on time should inform the host institution about the reasons in written form within 15 days before the admission date. For those who do not register as requested without reason, the scholarship will be canceled.
4. Scholarship will be canceled for those who do not pass the admission physical examination, drop out, or take schooling suspension during the study.
V. Contact Information
International Students Office of Chongqing Normal University
Contact: Ms. Xu Chiying, Ms. Dong Qing
Post Code: 401331
Application Documents for Confucius Institute Scholarships
Recommending institutions and host institutions should examine the completeness, validity and accuracy of applicant’s name, nationality and permanent address on the passport. If the following documents are not in Chinese or English version, notarization documents should be provided.
For all applicants
1. A scanned copy of the passport photo page. Applicants under the age of 18 shall submit relevant documents of entrusted legal guardians in
2. Score reports of the HSK, HSKK or BCT, BCT (Speaking). Winners of the finals of the “
” Chinese Proficiency Competitions may submit the award certificate and the “Confucius Institute Scholarship Certificate”.
3. Recommendation letter signed by the head of the recommending institutions (please provide objective comments on the applicant, including whether the applicant is a student of Confucius Institute or other identity. Chinese language teachers shall submit an employment verification letter and a reference letter provided by the institutes they work for.)
4. No criminal record certification.
I. For degree scholarship program applicants
5. Certification of the highest education diploma (or proof of expected graduation), and an official transcript.
6. Applicants of the Scholarship for MTCSOL Students and Scholarship for “1-Academic-Year Study + MTCSOL” students are required to provide 2 reference letters from professors or associate professors. Those who can provide an employment agreement or related documents with the designated teaching institution are preferred.
III. Host institutions will contact applicants directly if other materials are required.